Saturday, April 19, 2014

Piece for Final Portfolio

              
               “Come on Joe, sit him down”, says the shortstop to the pitcher as there are two outs and two strikes and I am looking like prey. Relax I say to myself as I lift my bat and find my focus point. I feel a lot of time now. As if the first part of the bat was just a dream and I now have the luxury of knowing what’s going on. The pitcher looks much shorter now, he kind of looks like my younger brother. That thought makes me smile and the pitchers attitude goes from a positive one to one of slight confusion and pompous curiosity. He steps off the rubber to gather himself and it makes me glad to have a few more seconds. 
                
               For the first time in the at bat the pitcher looks like just another guy having thoughts in his head. He steps back on the rubber and I plant my right foot in first, then my left. I take one deep breath swing my bat around and get set like I have since I was a little leaguer. Come on meat, I say towards the pitcher, positive that the catcher and the umpire heard me. Throw me something I can hit. At this point my mind is finally clear. It comforts me to think about my superiority to the pitcher, because the closest thing to thinking about nothing is one. He starts his wind up now, the count is 2-2; His wind-up taking much longer than before. His eyes are looking worn out above his sloppy frame. He plants his foot and delivers the ball. The pitch is a strike. The bat is still resting comfortably on my shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment